You Made it! Congratulations!
You’re about to retire or you are already retired. Chances are you’ve been fantasizing about what you will do when you retire for a long time now. Right?
No one fantasizes about having a boring retirement. Sure, you may want to take time off and have a relaxing experience without any obligations. But most retirees long to do the things they never had time to do while working. Travel, Adventure, Be Free!
Wow, you worked all these years just to get to this point where you have no boss, no rush hour and no ‘have-tos’. It’s FINALLY here! What’s next?
If you haven’t been tirelessly planning for this day already, no worries, there is still time to create an amazing retirement.
Whether you are a pre-retiree or already retired, guess what?
There are things you can do to realize your fantasy
Here are some of the biggies!
- Document your Fantasy – Decide what it is you’d like to do (on your own or with your partner) Make a list in priority order and decide if you want to check them all off like a ‘bucket list’ or choose the one that calls to you the most. But have a list so you can look at it and share if you want to.
- Hire a Professional – Consider speaking with someone about your funds. Do you have an accountant or actuary who can help you plan your years? Allotting the correct amount for your fantasy life will keep you from bumping up against financial challenges later. Know what you have, what you are getting and how much your money will earn for you.
- Interview – If you want to travel, find the right person or company to help. Choosing well can create a lifetime relationship that provides special treatment and valuable information. Interview travel agents, RV clubs, Senior learning opportunities, Realtors, Investment Brokers and anyone else who would source your plans.
- Find your resources – Seniors are entitled to so many benefits. You have earned buying privileges, dining discounts and even affordable living and traveling opportunities. Find your resources. Keep them at your fingertips and remember to call on them when it’s time.
- Stay Grateful – if you are able to retire with your health and a few bucks, then stay grateful. There are many who have challenges that keep them from retiring with ease
- Be Willing – Honoring your retirement fantasy will call you to be more willing. You won’t be living the familiar schedule any more. Things may feel awkward as you begin to change your focus. So what I say is this – be willing to change, be willing to see things differently, be willing to be uncomfortable, be willing to accept the learning curve of your new life
- Think Bigger – Maybe your kids don’t want you to leave them, or your friends aren’t retired yet. Maybe those around you are not adventurers. If you have a pull to do something you’ve never done before, do it! Don’t let the fears and limitations of others hold you back.
- Splurge! – If you’ve been a frugal person your entire life, where you’ve always purchased the least expensive item, do yourself a favor. Splurge a bit if you can. This is what you saved all this money for. This is the time. What are you saving it for? Order the more expensive meal once in a while. Get the upgrade. Buy that item you thought was frivolous.
- Tap into the REAL you – This is huge. If you’ve been playing the role of a responsible person, conservative person, reserved and in control person, consider letting loose. (responsibly) When is the last time you danced in the street? Sang karaoke, played in the pool? Spoke to strangers? When is the last time you dressed to match the personality you truly are? This is the perfect time to remember who you really are and bring that person to the surface. Feel younger longer when you laugh, move, and explore more.
Remember, retirement can be a wonderful time of life if you honor your fantasy. Stay committed to it, nurture it, master it and for goodness sake… enjoy it! You’ve earned it.
Subscribe to receive active-senior related blogs
About the Author-
Fran Asaro is an active senior and never-going-to-retire entrepreneur who motivates and inspires other seniors. She offers laptop lifestyle opportunities to seniors interested in earning supplemental income with age appropriateness. Her philosophy is Work like you WANT to, not like you HAVE to.
Find out more about what Fran does at Thrive Any Way
Become a part of the Ultimate Blog Challenge – and grow your audience
Dee Coxon MA MD MCMI says
That’s it Fran you’ve twisted my arm when my time comes I’m going SKI ing AKA Spending the Kids Inheritance lol
Ha! As I’ve written this week, I have been to Alaska. WOW, what a fantastic experience. So much so, that I would go back again even before seeing the rest of the country. Send photos!